Friday, November 20, 2009

Pattycake, Pattycake... Baker's Man

Baked his cakes as fast as he can (bad English, I know... but I wanted to keep the rhyme.)

Orange and grapefruit peel and sections were candied in the same method as the lemon and lime, and then I was out hunting for the remaining ingredients for the fruit cakes.

When I had everything I needed and was ready to bake, I had to wait yet another day because the banana wasn't ripe enough.

But alas, today I am done.

The assortment of nuts. The natural and rustic color of the nuts is so warm and mellow.


The candied mango, papaya, and pineapple. The sun kissed citrusy colors of the fruits can be found in the flowers in bloom all around.


The complete mixture of nuts and candied fruits, a kaleidoscope of color and texture.


The rich batter that will be mixed with the fruit and nuts. Butter, sugar, eggs, spices -- how can this be any better?


Two cakes cooling on the counter. I have 10 cakes like these and 6 cupcakes!

After the cakes are cool enough to handle, they will be removed from the pans and set out on wire racks to continue to cool to room temperature. Next they will be brushed with dark rum -- soaked is more like it -- and covered in cheesecloth, then plastic wrap, and placed in the refrigerator to mellow for 3-4 weeks, ready just in time for the holidays.

When the cakes are cut, the slices are like jeweled stained-glass mosaic windows. Of course I'll post pictures when I do. And if these yummy cakes weren't good enough just as they are, I like to dip them in chocolate as an added surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment