Tuesday, March 20, 2012

First Day of Spring

Happy First Day of Spring!


So, one advantage to living in Hawai'i is that I am 6 hours behind the East coast and 3 hours behind the West, so technically although most of you won't read this until tomorrow, I did post this to make it on the First Day of Spring.


As I mentioned in a previous post, I am working on a new design, and it's just one of those things that one can never anticipate the amount of time it will take to complete a project. I started designing the essential parts in Photoshop a week ago Monday, and although I've really only worked diligently on it during "working hours", I did put in some time this weekend. And even before I could dare to consider proceeding too far, I had to check the design with the printing mill engraving technician to make sure that would be able to print the design on fabric... (and I was told yes!) Hmmm... why do I complicate my life so? It's so I can bring fresh and exciting fabric for your to work with! ;)


I started tomatoes from fruits I picked from wild plants along the roadside and they're doing incredibly well... the Buddah's Hand unfortunately lost all of the fruit which started to develop mainly because, as I am told, it's going through an acclimation period of adjusting to the new environment of Haiku. 


As you can see, the pineapple is looking more pineapple-y... and unless this plant is perhaps going to go to seed or something, I never knew pineapples bloomed before the fruit matured and ripened... Live and Learn!!!


And as it has become customary, here are some new culinary creations from this past week, complete with home-brined corned beef for St. Patrick's Day! 


 Shellfish Pasta
(Clams, Mussels, Shrimp, Top Shell Snail)
Miso-Lemon-Soy-Olive Oil Sauce with Garlic and Anchovy

Grilled Line Caught Hawai'ian Blue Marlin with Nasturtium Flower-Lemon Butter
Grilled Corn-on-the-cob, Japanese Eggplant with Miso and Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes


Home-brined St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef

Spices measured out for the brine, including Organic Raw Maui Sugar, Kosher salt, garlic, Blood Orange-rind rose, "pickling spices" of cardamon, bay leaf, black pepper, mustard seed, allspice berries, cinnamon stick, fennel and other spices


 The spices are toasted in a dry pan to release the fragrant oils

 Along with filtered water, the brine had a can of Maui Brewing Company "Big Swell IPA"

 The organic grass-fed beef brisket from Whole Foods

 The brisket immersed in the brining liquid

 The cured brisket after brining for 4 days and after rinsing

 A side dish: Russian Kale in a Roasted Garlic-Cocoanut Stout Cream Sauce with
Toasted Macadamia Nuts, Kiawe Smoked Hawai'an Salt, Cracked Black Pepper

Sliced Corned Beef, Purple Carrots, Yukon Gold Potatoes, Local Green Cabbage
Side of Mark's Cole Slaw, Stone Ground Horseradish Mustard (prepared) and Whole Grain Wasabi-Miso Mustard (home-made)

A hui hou! (Until we met again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment