Monday, July 23, 2012

A Long Overdue Post: Sea Turtles, Seal Pups and Humpback Whales

This is a quilt made by Suzy Aguirre, of Maui. I have never met her but I do know her sister-in-law Bernadette, who is employed by the USPS as the mail carrier working my postal route. Over the years, I have had bolts of fabric sent parcel post, wrapped in clear shipping plastic. We connected one day when a bolt of my "Surf's Up!" sea turtle fabric arrived. She explained that the honu (sea turtle) had a special meaning for her. It seemed, each time while at the shore, a sea turtle would appear... a sign that was a reminder of her one son, a twin, whom had passed away - swept out to sea by a rogue wave while fishing on the rocks. And if that wasn't enough, several years later she lost her other son who was distraught at the loss of his twin brother.

I gave Bernadette the three fabrics - turtles, seals and whales - and in turn, Suzy made this quilt as a dedication to her two boys.

It's a wonderfully executed quilt, and these pictures really do not do it justice. I am touched that I could be a part of this...




If you look closely you will note the quilting is also in the shape of sea turtles


1 comment: