Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Gingerbreadtown Holiday Collection

Here is my GINGERBREADTOWN collection for Michael Miller Fabrics. It was debuted at the 2011 Fall International Quilt Market in Houston this past October. It was utterly amazing to see interest in the collection a full year before it would be available in stores!


I have been wanting to do a gingerbread and holiday candy group for quite some time, and I am glad that I had the opportunity to design it when I did because I had just started teaching myself Photoshop and this incredible design tool made easy work of the project, and allowed me to design in ways I hand never contemplated before.


As an example, in the Confectionary Stripe, there are exactly 4 elements that I had "painted" using colored pencils and magic marker (my training is in menswear design and that is the preferred mediums for sketching garments). All the other elements were scanned - and by scanned I mean placing real candy on the scanner bed and creating life-like art from the images. If you'd like to take a guess which ones are the artwork and post them in the comments, I'll gladly let you know if you're correct but I'll reveal the truth ;) next week...


In addition, the scanning and manipulating of the real candy images prompted me to go one step further with the Gingerbread fabric. Knowing I could attempt to paint (this time with acrylics) a realistic gingerbread texture, and probably needed to make several samples to get it just right, I decided to "cheat"! So I baked rollout gingerbread cookie dough and scanned that too! It's remarkable how reality can be skewed through art and manipulated to suit the creator's needs!


For the Cookie Cutouts I used Photoshop to "cut out" the shapes from the virtual Gingerbread and iced it with computerized icing.


The Gingerbread House Quilt and Pancake Doll pattern shown in the right hand side bar use the collection listed above. The house is built from cutting apart the Confectionary Stripe and then piecing it together in the schoolhouse block I have designed. The pattern goes on sale the end of this month.



GINGERBREADTOWN by Mark Hordyszynski for Michael Miller Fabrics

DC5220 Confectionary Stripe

DC5218 Gingerbread

DC5215 Cookie Cutouts

DC51217 Gummy Stripe

DC5216 100-Calorie Snak Pak

DC5219 Vanilla With Sprinkles





No comments:

Post a Comment