Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sometimes You Need to Take a Step Back...

...in order to go forward. So that's what I'm going to do with this post. Before I show my new collection PARADISE COVE, I want to do a flashback to the International Quilt Market in Salt Lace City, Spring 2011. It was here that I previewed the HULA DOLLS collection (it would be released in August), my first for Michael Miller Fabrics after rejoining the company as a licensed designer. The reason I am doing this is to show how the Hula Dolls collection segues and flows into the Mermaids of Hana Bay group...

(Since PARADISE COVE is soon to be released, there is no link, so you'll have to be patient... I promise to post the designs as soon as I know they are ready to go live!)

You may also notice all the hats - it was then that I created the Children's Reversible Bucket Hat and started marketing the pattern under my label: 
and hence the name of my blog!


Having been on Maui for a just about two years, I was full of inspiration from my lush tropical surroundings and the rich, Hawaiian culture. I was bursting at the seams to create a group of fabrics that would speak the language of the island yet transcend the Pacific waters and be embraced by a broad and diverse audience. 

I have been credited with being sensitive to the use of varying skin tones in my characters. This was a completely subconscious channeling of the diverse melding of the peoples that inhabit  these islands which again, speaks loud and clear the diversity of our own country and of the peoples of the planet. I was simply putting on paper - and in turn fabric - that which I saw all around me...



Mark Hordyszynski for Michael Miller Fabrics
Please note: unfortunately the colors here are all a bit washed; they're more like the photo above :)  


Top to Bottom: Hula Dolls DC5018 - Graphite and Seafoam

Pacific Reef DC5016 - Sea

Island Hibiscus DC5017 - Coffee

Left to Right: Tiki Woodblock DC5012 - Isle and Wave

Surfer Stripe DC5015 - Wave

Leaf Vines DC5013 - Isle

Left to Right: Scales & Waves - Coffee and Green Tea

Left to Right: Scales & Waves - Sea and Wave


HULA DOLLS Embroideries by The Needlework Factory
(Available April)


The figure above has a skirt made of Angelina Fibers and the one below out of natural raffia. Imagine how cute these would be paired with the coordinating fabrics in a quilt or better yet, in little girls' clothing!



(Sue, the creator of the embroideries, said that working with both fibers was very challenging and time consuming, so these examples are for inspiration only. The skirt can be stitched out, or done as an applique with a fabric of your choice... I'll be sure to post pics of new samples as soon as I get a sample sewn out... but they are so darn cute I couldn't resist showing them!) 

1 comment: